Friday, March 19, 2010

Beach Treasures

Seashells, captured at one of the beaches at the Space Coast, Florida

A seashell, also known as a sea shell, or simply as a shell, is the common name for a hard, protective outer layer, a shell, or in some cases a "test", that was created by a sea creature, a marine organism. The shell is part of the body of a marine animal. In most cases a shell is an exoskeleton, usually that of an animal without a backbone, an invertebrate. Seashells are most often found on beaches.

The word seashell is most often used to mean the shells of marine mollusks, i.e. mollusk shells. It can however also be used to mean the shells of a wide variety of other marine animals from various different phyla. For helpful introductory articles, see marine invertebrates and marine biology.

As well as marine mollusks, many other kinds of sea animals have exoskeletons or even internal shells which sometimes, after death, wash up on the beach and may be picked up by beachcombers. These shells include remains from species in other invertebrate phyla, such as the moulted shells or exuviae of crabs and lobsters, the shells of barnacles, horseshoe crab shells, the tests (endoskeletons) of sea urchins, sand dollars and seastars, brachiopod shells, and the shells of marine annelid worms in the family Serpulidae, which create calcareous tubes cemented onto other surfaces.

Seashells have been admired, studied and used by humans for many different purposes throughout history and pre-history.




Hi my friends,

today we have learned something about seashells. I have copied this text from Wikipedia, it doesn't comes from my brain - I'm not that smart....*smile*....

Thank you for all the kind comments from yesterday. I see, not to many people liked or know the Italian Maestro "Zucchero" and his smoky soft voice. That's not a problem at all, I do love him :))

I wish you all a wonderful day filled with sunshine, everywhere you go!
See you again tomorrow, here on this spot. :)
Susanne


 I have a new website. 
I'm still working on and uploading more photographs every day.
You will make my day. Thanks.

16 comments:

The Retired One said...

Loved the shot of the shells...I am one of those dorks that collect them every single time we are by an ocean. ha

S-V-H said...

Thank you for the comment, Joan.

Marcie said...

Gorgeous light...and wonderful collection of sea treasures.

Anonymous said...

hi Sue, i'm still with you, btw some of these shells are also found in some caves, interesting...

Kimberly said...

I really enjoy your photography. Thank you for the sunny day wishes, this weekend promises to be a fantastic weekend, sun sun sun.

Kimberly, from the PNW!

S-V-H said...

Glad you like this one, Marcie. Thanks for the comment. ;)

S-V-H said...

Yes, Hans...that's interesting, indeed. Thanks for being with me :)

S-V-H said...

Thanks Kimberley. I'm glad you like my blog so much :)

Yvi said...

Hi Susanne,

wirklich ein tolles Foto und ein interessanter und informativer Text dazu!

Ich liebe es am Strand solche kleine Schätze zu sammeln.

Ich wünsch Dir ein wunderschönes WE!
Yvi

RennyBA's Terella said...

Thanks for sharing - now I've learned something new today too you know! and since from Norway, I love seafood you know :-)

Happy Weekend!

S-V-H said...

Vielen Dank fuer den netten Kommentar, liebe Yvi. Schoenes Wochenende auch fuer dich :)

S-V-H said...

Thank you Renny: Have a nice weekend and enjoy your seafood :)

Sydney photographers said...

It is really a treasure.
I love this photo..
It's so nice. And a real treasure.. :D

S-V-H said...

Thank you guys from "down under" for visiting my blog. It's a honor that you like my photography :)

Your work on your blog is beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

beautifull...absolutely beautiful...i have no futhur way to say how much i like it...its wonderful...

S-V-H said...

Those are wonderful words, Mari... they are enough for me, thank you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin