Saturday, June 19, 2010

Seagrape or Coccoloba uvifera


Coccoloba uvifera 
is a species of flowering plant in the buckwheat family, Polygonaceae, that is native to coastalbeaches throughout tropical America and the Caribbean, including southern Florida, the Bahamas, Barbados and Bermuda. Common names include Seagrape and Baygrape. It is a sprawling evergreen shrub or small tree that reaches a maximum height of 8 m (26 ft), but most specimens are little more than 2 m (6.6 ft) tall. It has large, round, leathery leaves (up to 25 cm/9.8 in in diameter) with a primary vein that has a red color extending from the base, and the entire leaf turns red as it ages. The bark is smooth and yellowish. In late summer it bears green fruit that gradually turns orange, to red, until there is a purplish fruit, about 2 cm (0.79 in) diameter, in large grape-like clusters. The fruit also contains a large pit that takes up most of the fruit.

 Abstract leaf of a sea grape



Hi my friends,
Thank you all for visiting my blog. Yesterday was no post there, I know. 
I just don't felt like posting anything and that happen sometimes to me too :))

I wish you a nice weekend full with sunshine and fun for you!
Tomorrow, there will be my "Wordless Sunday" again - come back and see it and comment. Every single comment makes my day. 
Yep, you can make me happy with little things in life...*smile*...
Susanne




8 comments:

The Retired One said...

Oh MY...that abstract of the sea grape is absolutely breathtaking!

S-V-H said...

Thank you so much, Joan. It's colorful, I know and I like it too.:)

Sense of Blogging said...

i love ur blog :)
have visited! hope u do the same to mine http://kpadaku.blogspot.com
Thanks!

S-V-H said...

I have visited your blog :)

will you visit my blog again? Thanks.

Trotter said...

Hi Sue! Awesome coulours lately... Magnificent!!

Blogtrotter Two has arrived in Sardinia, a true hidden gem in Mediterranean waters! Enjoy the views and have a great week ahead!!

S-V-H said...

Thank you Manuel, glad you like my colorful life :)

Marcie said...

Exquisite color..gorgeous light!!!

S-V-H said...

Thanks for liking this post, Marcie!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin