Thursday, August 23, 2007

St. Paul's Episcopal Church on Duval Street

St. Paul's Church is the oldest Episcopal church in the Florida Diocese. The historical marker reads: "St. Paul's Episcopal Church. 1832. Oldest in the Florida Diocese, the present church (1912) is the fourth on this site. John Fleming, one of the four original owners of the island, is buried here. His widow donated the property, stipulating that the church pews be free. Rectory built 1853. The chimes, first installed in a Florida church, were originally in a frame church (1886) destroyed in 1909 hurricane.




The glass windows inside of the church - a master piece in art



A place of silence - away from the hectic pace of life




A statue of the Madonna with her Christ child in the backyard

5 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

Nice post. I love churches, something mystic about them.
Anna :)

S-V-H said...

Thank you Anna! Me too I like churches and I'm visiting everywhere I go also the main churches. I'm not a religious person at all, but I like the architecture and the arty aspect in a church.

Bob Johnson said...

There's something about catholic churches and their stained glass windows, my wife loves them as well as pictures of older cemeteries.

Michele said...

I have always adored the stained glass windows of churches... the many colors. Simply amazing. Beautiful pics.

S-V-H said...

So many thanks are going to

Bob and Michele

for your both kind commenting. Yes, churches have some magic everywhere in the world you go.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin